2018 General Election Guide Archive
FL Amendment 5 – Supermajority Vote Required to Impose, Authorize, or Raise State Taxes or Fees
Requires a two-thirds vote of the Legislature to approve any new or increased taxes or fees, rather than a simple majority.
- Require a two-thirds vote by the state House and Senate to increase existing taxes and fees or impose new ones.
- Require that any new or increased taxes or fees be voted on in stand-alone bills.
- Exclude local governments from any supermajority requirements if they choose to raise taxes or fees.
- Allow the Legislature to continue approving increased or new taxes and fees through a simple majority vote.
- Allow the Legislature to continue bundling tax and fee increases with bills that include other measures.
- Florida TaxWatch
- Florida Chamber of Commerce
- League of Women Voters of Florida
- Florida Policy Institute
- Progress Florida
- Florida Education Association